Application
Assignment #4
Interview
Understanding the Role of Social Networks
In this week’s reading, a lot of the material is focused on
the process, motivation, and consequences of alliances that drive organizations
today. While the readings largely focus on case studies and empirical research,
a lot of theory is discussed as well. For example, Gulati discusses different
levels of analysis in alliance theory from the dyadic level to the larger
network and Barney and Hansen discuss that different levels of trust are built
depending on different external environments and cost-effective depending on
different competitive environments. In this application I will interview a CEO
of a start-up company, selling Insam (a Korean medicinal plant which is
considered very healthy in Asian countries. His start-up, I feel, helps us see
that although alliance theories are complex, they can be simplified and reduced
to a stronger analysis in which we can produce inductive conclusions. Thus, looking from the analysis of Gulati’s
alliance theory based on social networks, I will try to ask pertinent questions
to my interviewee and see whether his analysis aligns with his experience.
Can you give a brief
introduction of yourself?
My
name is Cho Pyo Shik. I am 54 years old. I recently retired from being a
manager at a Traveling Agency three years ago, and I began my own company
selling In-sam. My company revenue has reached 4 million per year and is
continuing to grow. It has been a very difficult path, but I am reaping the
fruits now.
What has been the key
factor in the success of your company?
I
would definitely say networking. Although a lot of management is involved, my
work is finding the right sellers and buyers. I play largely the middle-man
role, where I try to find very good-quality In-sam, and also be able to find
the buyers of In-sam at a relative good price. Out of the two jobs, finding the
demand is more important and critical to the company because of the large
competition and the buyer-oriented economy. For me, focusing on networking
takes the largest priority and covers 60% of my time.
Why was networking so
important for you?
Networking
was vital because for me to grow my own In-sam, I would have to buy land, buy
the seeds, and spend a significant time focusing on researching the product. Rather
the current farmers, who have spent hundreds of years in developing In-sam are
the ones who can reduce costs for me and be very cost-effective. Also, finding
customers on the street is very difficult, and I would be wasting my time
trying to sell products to people who don’t want to buy In-sam. Rather by find
the alliances who can provide the people who are interested in In-sam are the
key to increasing revenue. By finding alliances with supply and demand
companies, I can reduce my opportunity cost in investing resources into the two
fields and be able to utilize networking by being the middle-man. This way I am reducing costs significantly,
and creating a cost-effective strategy.
How
do you go about finding these alliances?
A lot of my network has
stemmed from my networks from my work-experience at the Travel Agency. Although
my company is in Korea, most of my customers are actually Chinese. Because of
the new Korean wave and influence of Korean dramas in China, many new-middle
class Chinese citizens are interested in Korean products. From their
perspective, Korean people are very healthy and during the SARS crisis in 2002,
only 4 Koreans were accounted for being affected by SARS. These Chinese
customers are convinced that In-sam is one of the critical reasons they think
why Korean people are healthy. Thus, I networked with the Chinese traveling
agencies I currently knew and the relationship and trust I developed with them
was enough for me to work with them.
Finding the supply was a
bit trickier. I didn’t have the embedded networks as I did with the Chinese
travel agencies. In Asia, especially Korea, networking is key to gaining
confidence and assurance in your product. Because of the increasing product
scandals in society, In-sam is also subject to variety of fake, low-quality,
look-alike In-sams. When I found my supply side, rather than actually trying to
find people on my own, I went through
two hoobae (someone who
graduated from the same school but graduated after you), whose families actually
grows In-sam. This is a common tradition in Korea, where school connections are
as strong as friendship because of our mutual friends. Both hoobae were able to teach me and warn me
about fake In-sams, and were able to give me a reasonable price. I was able to
check if their information was reliable by checking with the other hoobae.
What
types of contracts do you use to formalize the alliance?
In Korea, when school and
family friends are in business, contracts are signed with what’s called do-jang (a stamp like figure). We agree
on the type of product and the amount, but beyond contracts, we try to help
each other in other areas to solidify our relationship. For example, I took my hoobae’s family on a tour of China or
helped them whenever they needed traveling assistance. This way, my hoobae’s family treated me as their
number one customer and gave me priority on their sales.
How
do the alliance and the partners’ participation evolve over time?
As a growing company, I
needed to find more supply and demand. I could go to internet sides,
advertisement, or visit large markets, but I found all these methods
impractical. I was able to get better In-sam at a much lower price from the
connections of my hoobae’s family.
They introduced me to more reliable farmers, and meeting them in person (buying
them a meal or having a light drink with them), we were able to build trust
fast through my hoobae. I have relied
more and more on my hoobae and they
have been very helpful in assisting me. For the supply, I have a strong
competition from other sellers of In-sam, but my relationship with the Chinese
travel agencies have grown stronger. I give them remission from my sales,
keeping them happy, and giving customers extra Korean gifts for buying my
In-sam, to keep them satisfied as well. Moreover, they know my products are
safe and well-made, which helps their image a lot. Once my customers and travel
agencies were satisfied, the travel agencies were able to introduce me to other
firms who wanted my goods and services.
What
factors influence the success of alliances?
As I mentioned before, in
Asian culture, it’s not just about paper and contracts. Rather one has to build
strong relations with the companies head. Asian companies are always
hierarchical and very centralized. Decisions are made from the top, so the
executives are the ones who need to be ultimately satisfied. So my work has
been networking with them, whether it’s through meals, drinks, assistance, traveling
advice, giving them lip-service and doing favors, I need to focus my energy on
them if I want to expand my company and attain reliable demand and supply.
There are too many scandals and international law enforcement with Chinese
companies are extremely long and complex. Rather, my method of networking has
been the key factor to my success.
What
is the effect of alliances on the performance of your firm?
When one Chinese traveling
company backed out on a large deal, I did not panic because my other companies
were reliable and helpful. They heard about my situation, and they assisted me
in finding other Chinese companies they knew to recover my loss. Volatile
situations can come about in any business, but making sure that you constantly
communicate and discuss with the companies is key. These alliances are not just
alliances, but developing alliances. It’s critical in how you develop that
alliance rather than keeping them status quo.
From my interview
analysis, the company of my interviewee delineates the role of social networks
in creating a successful firm. As Gulati mentions in his paper, social networks
are critical in developing new partnerships, the structure of the partnerships,
and the evolution of the partnership. My interviewee’s company ultimately
relied on his social networks in building a safe connection of demand and
supply. This safe connection was developed and improved through a strong trust.
As Barney and Hansen mention, strong trust is developed under situations where values, standards, and principles of behavior
are agreed by both groups. The interviewee was able to find such companies
through his social networks. Moreover, they mention that this
strong-trust is cost-effective when the trust between firms in that market is
rare, which is what the interviewee discussed. Although alliance theories can
be complex and difficult, this case analysis goes to show that theories can be
simplified and understood in many contexts.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI found your interview very interesting, and I've never heard of In-sam before, so I'll have to google it.
It seems that trust has been extremely important in the interviewee's company, but it also seems like cultural knowledge played an important role. Do you think the interviewee would have been as successful without his cultural knowledge?
http://geert-hofstede.com/south-korea.html
Here's a link to Hofstede's dimensions for South Korea. The website allows comparison between different countries, but has some insight into why the interviewee valued network connections and is pretty interesting.
Best,
Melanie
Melanie,
DeleteInsam is Korean ginseng, and a lof of asians believe in its effectiveness. Without his cultural knowledge, I believe it would e difficult to succeed in Korea. I have seen many foreigners or foreign companies who failed in business running without cultural knowledge.
It's very interesting to read Hofstede's dimensions for South Korea. Some of facts are very new to me as well.
Yeirang.
Yeirang,
ReplyDeleteGreat interview and very applicable to the effects of successful networking. I had never heard of Insam either, but it seems Mr. Shik has found a lucrative market for his sales! I can see how networking is such an important part of increasing and maintaining sales, clients, and most importantly building a good reputation. I really liked when he mentioned that he did not panic when he lost a client, because he knew that the alliances he had made would help him even out. Having that sense of safety as a business owner must be very satisfying. Something else I took away from your interview is that, Mr. Shik was very smart to keep in contact with all the connections he made during his time at the travel agency. I went to a Women's Leadership Conference a few months ago and they talked about this; how it is important to maintain contacts with people you have met along the way ..or places you have worked at. This way your network is always growing and you may end up working with people you never expected!
Allison,
ReplyDeleteYes. It was great that he kept his network with his previous company.
Korea travel agencies developed a lot of inexpensive trips from China to Korea, and they include shopping Korean regional products such as Korean ginseng, dried seaweed and etc.
Yeirang.