Tuesday, October 2, 2012

S. Harris Week 03 - Academic Article


“If employees are inspired, empowered, and free to act, they will stretch themselves to make exceptional efforts, demonstrate a high degree of commitment, and be willing to take risks. (Kets de Vries, 1998, 17).”

While working on our W.L. Gore and Associates (WLG) project this week, I’ve been fascinated by the entrepreneurial spirit and lattice structure that exists in their corporation. One of my group members mentioned that Richard Branson used a similar format and my mind wandered following that train of thought.  This current economy crash forces companies to make changes such as trimming their operating expenses – often by cutting employees leaving those remaining to pick up the difference in workload in addition to their regular job.  The rest of the workers feel taken advantage of, almost regretful, for being left with the pieces. There are a few companies out there who manage to stay ahead of the changes, partially because they welcome change.  They organize their companies in a different manner and encourage unlimited curiosity and new ideas, and empower their employees to take charge.
Employees at Gore experience empowerment, unlimited creativity, opportunities to forge their own path and control of their future.  This sounded like such a rare gem of a work environment, I was immediately curious to see if any other companies held even a close level of success to the company that invented Gore-Tex.  During my group conference call, a name came up that immediately peaked my interest – in fact I have his biography (unread) on my bookshelf.  The owner of the quote shared above, Richard Branson – the owner of the Virgin Group, and Percy Barnevik, the person behind the “world’s largest cross-border merger (Kets de Vries, 1998, 11).”
However, instead of reading a fluff piece biography, I yearned to see what similarities and difference could be drawn between W.L. Gore’s philosophies and these two charismatic gentlemen in “Charisma in Action: The Transformational Abilities Of Virgin’s Richard Branson and ABB’s Percy Barnevick” that appeared in the Winter, 1998 volume of Organizational Dynamics.

CARRYING ON GORE’S VISION
While not mentioned in the article as influences, one can’t help but notice the similarities between Gore’s company and the empires built by the two gentlemen. Considering the timing, with Gore leaving DuPont to start his own company in about 1969 (Townsend, 2000) and Richard Branson being kicked out of his school only to launch his companies in 1967, I wonder how much of this new philosophy illustrates the signs of the times – especially since they followed very different routes with their education.

FAMILY FIRST
Both Branson and Barnevick’s companies put the employees first, the consumers next and the shareholders last.  The companies they built also feel more family-like in size – despite being large companies with thousands of employees.  Both, like Gore, limit the number of employees at facilities – expanding into new buildings if they start to overflow their working space. 

OPEN COMMUNICATION
The fact that any employee is able to phone any employee, including the head-honcho, Branson, means that decisions are made quickly and efficiently than others who have to call meetings, talk to their supervisor, then move upward from there to budget meetings, marketing meetings and so on.

UNLIMITED POTENTIAL
While Barnevick did create a few levels of hierarchy for his companies – no more than five levels – Branson closely models the example of Gore with every employee having equal opportunity to present their ideas and develop them into products.  This unlimited creativity coupled with unleashed potential helps keep all of these companies constantly evolving and ahead of the trends.

BEYOND GORE’S VISION
As with any creative change expert, leave it to Branson and Barnevick to add their special touch to this lattice organizational structure.

SLAYING THE BEAST
Branson and Barnevick both put emphasis on constantly making the competitors very visible to employees in their companies. By identifying what brand specifically you are trying to beat I’m guessing it’s easier for Virgin to analyze what makes that brand so amazing then take it one step farther.  Also, ABB focuses on what your largest competitor is doing specifically, and then tries to beat them to the next punch to be the first to make the world a better place (Kets De Vries, 1998, 17).

SURPRISING THE CUSTOMER
Both men creatively take the consumer experience above and beyond providing unexpected treats and benefits for their consumers.  Virgin air includes in-flight spa services and ABB sells the global impact one can have by choosing their company (Kets De Vries, 1998, 18).

Considering the strength of the brands created by empowering the employees who then move forward through change faster and more confidently, I wonder why more companies aren’t adapting this structure at this time. I suppose that the change itself to keep up with change would be shocking to many.


Citations:
Kets De Vries, Manfred F. R. (1998, Winter) Charisma in Action: The Transformational
     Abilities Of Virgin’s Richard Branson And ABB’s Percy Barnevick. Organizational
     Dynamics, 7-21.

Townsend, D. R. & Harder, J. (2000). W.L. Gore & Associates [Case no. UVA-
     OB-0700]. Charlottesville: Darden Business Publishing.


10 comments:

  1. Excellent post. This was so interesting. I love the opening Richard Branson quote. I think you did a great job contrasting two companies who paralleled Gore's business model and corporate spirit. I agree with you about the philosophies of these gentlemen being a sign of the times in the 60s.

    Like you, after this weeks readings, I am intrigued by why more companies do not adopt a similar business model. Employees first, customers next, and share holders last is almost the exact opposite of how most companies run, especially publicly traded ones who are designed around keeping the shareholders happy. I saw a 20/20 on Richard Branson years ago and have admired him since. Virgin Airlines is my favorite company to fly.

    Sarah, you are a terrific writer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea, I appreciate the compliment!

      I think one thing that Richard Branson has too is unlimited creativity and the ability to see all sides of the Rubik's cube at once. He doesn't just look at the side he's trying to solve. I am inspired by those such as Branson, and my very first corporate hero Walt Disney, for the effort they made to not only appeal to every sense - in often very subtle ways - but the fact that they would never be finished.

      Thank you for the comments!

      Delete
  2. Great post Sarah! I wish you didn't remind me of Branson as that will be another entry in my Amazon wishlist! I am always interested in learning about what makes these great thinkers tick? And, also why they continue to do it in a way that is successfully above their competition while other organizations don't feel the need for change.

    My first job out of college was for Coca Cola Enterprises in Los Angeles and I remember that employees weren't allowed to walk the halls without the suit jacket on. They were only allowed to take it off in their offices. This wasn't too far off, it was in 1996. Now the employees are much more relaxed in dress code, office culture and employer-employee bonding. Thank you for relating our reading with Branson and offering a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I will read the Branson bio on holiday break and I'd be happy to share it with you - although there could be a few, I think this one may be older.

      Did you work at the Coca Cola "cruise ship" downtown? I think that is a great point though, that some policies are relaxing and changing and it's not just about the jackets and how you appear. If you don't back it up with a top quality product, then you and your suit jacket may wind up poundin the pavement again - if they let you keep it when you leave...

      Thanks for the comments Michael!

      Delete
  3. Sarah, interesting connection. Your closing thought posed a great question: why don't more organizations do this? Is this the ideal structure for all conditions? When would this structure be counterproductive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted my answers below but welcome further questions if I didn't clarify everything. Your questions help me take my thoughts beyond the assignment and give the lesson heavier significance.

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    I love that our conference call and Kerry's comments about Branson inspired you. I knew that Virgin and ABB were innovative with their design but didn't realize their similarities nor was I even aware of the strides that Gore had made prior to reading the article. I agree with you, with the successes of these companies I can't imagine why more are not jumping on the Lattice band wagon. However, in looking at the examples of all three companies it appears that they all were innovative with their design during the companies infancy. I would conjecture that this made implementing this type of a model more cost effective. Whereas trying to change a well established company stuck in a traditional structure is probably incredibly costly and not to mention time consuming. What are your thoughts?

    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona, yes, once Kerry made that connection I couldn't wait to dig deeper because I'm so inspired by Branson. You made an excellent observation and I agree that implementing this structure in a brand new company, or at a significant changing point as was the case with ABB when they created the largest cross-border merger in 1987 (Kets de Vries, 1998, 5), would be the best time to build something from the ground up as far as creating a lattice structure. Forcing this on a company that has a very different structure and company protocol engrained in them could be incredibly stressful and detrimental to lead times.
    I think that not everyone is cut out for this particular structure. When considering managing different age groups of employees, those farther along in their careers may prefer the boundaries of a traditional vertical structure more the likes of Weber's bureaucracy. Perhaps they put more trust in a supervisor who will divide the labor, set the people's ranks and career path because it's what they've always known and they feel they can navigate that system. Younger millennials have shorter attention spans and want things to move along quickly or they get bored. They're eager to prove themselves where those who are farther in their career may feel resentful if they have to continually "prove themselves."
    Perhaps the way to roll this out, or test it, if you will, would be to have special task forces whether it's planning the holiday party, to preparing documents for a reaccreditation at a college, but having a committee where everyone has their specialty and they work collaboratively, yet are individually responsible for their section, may be a great way for people to experience that environment then see if they can roll it out to accomplish one goal, or one project then grow from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      So glad I provided you with inspiration! When I was an undergrad, I wrote a paper on Branson and Virgin (it's my favorite carrier, too). If I can find it, I'll share it with you.

      K

      Delete
  6. Kerry I would love to read it!! My favorite carrier too - I love their safety video, I'm such a nerd! Yes, when you said Branson I was immediately hooked and new I had to follow that thought.

    ReplyDelete