Sunday, October 28, 2012

Who really needs social responsiblity?



Earlier this year we saw the rise of the Occupy movement play out on all media outlets. People were upset. Businesses were not being socially responsible and the general population had finally had enough. The question we are left with is, do we really expect businesses to maintain their social responsibility despite the possible loss of profits?

There are a lot of companies that balance profit with corporate social responsibility such as Toms, Burt’s Bees, Starbucks, and Whole foods. The only thing is most of these companies were created with social responsibility in mind.  An article in The Wall Street Journal published in June 2012, talks about the case against social responsibility. This take on the subject was very interesting as usually people are for corporate social responsibility and not against it.

Karnani writes about how profits will be effected with the increase of social responsibility and how sometimes, the profits are more important. I found this interesting because we expect companies to do good for the people they serve but how do we expect to do this? In order to illustrate this point let’s take a look at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is a big corporation yet they have had quite a few problems with corporate social responsibility. Wal-Mart has been sued by its own employees, unions and activist organizations. As the general public, we learn about these issues on the news, through friends and even through employees as we stand in the checkout line. So, knowing that the company is not treating people the way we want them to, as customers, what can we do? Stop shopping there. It is as simple as that. Stop shopping at Wal-Mart. If enough people stopped shopping at the local stores, profits may be influenced and Wal-Mart would have to change their ways in order to increase profits again. Will this happen? No. We like our sales. 

This brings in to light, who do we blame for a lack of corporate social responsibility? The company or the customers themselves? 

Karnani states that companies know the areas they need to change and choose not to change them because of  the effect on profits. Ultimately profits are the main issue at stake. With increased social responsibility there are sometimes decreased profits.  If profits continue to decrease, there will not be a need for social responsibility because there won’t be a company. Another angle to look at is how important is social responsibility? Do consumers research companies prior to making purchases? For example, last year I decided to live a vegetarian lifestyle and eventually progress to veganism. I began researching products that did not test on animals and did not use animal products. The companies that produce items that fit my new lifestyle were expensive. This might make me look bad, but I decided against the full on vegetarian lifestyle because I was not willing to pay more. This is the deal people get. If you want increased social responsibility then expect increased prices. Sometimes people are willing to ignore the lack of social responsibility in order to keep the prices they are comfortable with, just like the Wal-Mart situation.

Karnani suggests government regulation but the public does not really support government interference with companies, hence the Occupy movement. So while the Occupy movement brought these issues in to focus, how many of those protestors were willing to pay more if the companies changed their ways? How many of us are willing to pay more for increased social responsibility? Are you?



Karnani, A. (2012, June 14). The case against corporate social responsibility. Retrieved from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703338004575230112664504890.html

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melinda,
    I thought your story about your attempt to become a vegetarian was very interesting. I completely agree that people do want companies to be more socially responsible but don't want to pay an increased product price for it. I think the company's leadership has to make this choice and hope that it brings other rewards, such as increased share price or new investors. Wal-mart might be forced to make this move if they want to expand into foreign markets, as we saw with the Wal-mart/Bharti case. The process is slow, but I think Wal-mart and others will eventually have to adopt social responsibility practices if they want to maintain a competitive advantage. Good article and insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie,

      I try to do the vegetarian life every year. I always end up giving up. This last time, I gave up because of Chapstick. I vowed to only buy animal friendly products and when I realized that my favorite cherry chapstick used animal products I was pretty sad. I found other chapsticks that were animal friendly but by the time I ordered them and paid for shipping, they would have cost me almost double what I would pay if I went to a local drugstore. It was just so hard so I finally gave up. I try to be conscious about my purchases but sometimes it gets tough.

      I think in order for social responsibility to work, there has to be a benefit for both companies and consumers. It needs to be a win-win situation if a difference is ever going to be made.

      Delete
  2. Hi Melinda,

    I agree with the point you raise - how much more are we willing to pay for corporations to be socially responsible. However, some companies are finding it to their advantage to get out ahead of the curve. Before their Gulf Oil spill, BP got a lot of positive attention by announcing it would aggressively pursue green energy technologies. I know from personal experience that I'm more likely to frequent a business that is more involved in the community or tries to be more environmentally friendly (like offering paper instead of plastic).

    Pursuing social responsibility is always going to take an investment of resources but those who do it right can see a return on that. As for Occupy Wall Street.. I think they tapped into peoples' frustration at first but their lack of a coherent message and their inability to express what they wanted to change deflated the movement, in my humble opinion. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree John. I'm one of those people that bought up the reusable bags like crazy but I never use them. My heart was in it though. I may not want to pay more for certain products but I always donate to causes at the cashier whenever they ask me to. As for Occupy Wall Street, I could write pages on what I think about that. They definitely needed a lot more organization in order to accomplish the things they were trying to fight for.

      Delete
  3. Your comment about converting to veganism was exactly the same idea that I was going to suggest only I was going to compare it to switching to organic foods. People should start gradually, consider starting with what will make the biggest positive impact at an expense level that they're comfortable with and then baby steps! Nobody wants companies to go bankrupt overnight and I think intent and beginning down the road goes a long ways in the mind of the consumer.

    I was saddened to learn that Wal-Mart isn't as generous with their employees because they were always good for us with our fundraising. Coming from a non-profit I know that they'll let you sell anything you want outside of their stores (so long as they don't carry it inside) for fundraising and then they match how much you make. I know a women who made thousands selling fresh-squeezed lemonade (fresh-squeezed was the defining quality that they don't sell inside). Plus I know that they have large neighborhood grants that people can apply for. It would be nice perhaps if they could spread the kindness more evenly between the internal people that will help define their future success and the external people who appreciate their gifts.

    ReplyDelete