Personal Experience: Corporate Social Responsibility
Reading through the instructional materials this week about corporate social responsibility (especially the piece from The Economist), brought back so many memories of my time spent in purchasing at USC as the sustainable sourcing specialist. In 2007, as the first person at the university with the word sustainability title, and in a newly created position within Business Services, I had no prior knowledge of what sustainable sourcing was, let alone how to do it! So the first thing I did was start to educate myself on what sustainability meant in terms of buying goods and services. Very quickly, I found myself jumping onto the green bandwagon…discovering what was meant by a carbon footprint and acronyms like PCW (post-consumer waste), FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council), and CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs).After arming myself with what I thought was a minimum of information (and what turned out to be merely scratching the surface), I began to talk to suppliers about what they knew about the sustainability of their industries and products. I found out that many of the large companies such as Office Depot, Hewlett Packard, and most of the large furniture manufacturers have whole departments devoted to sustainability! And all of them are very eager to partner with clients such as USC to help them decrease their impact on the environment.
One of the things I discovered within myself that I think most organizations go through when getting their feet wet in going green is an almost paralyzing fear that whatever I did was either going to be wrong or not enough. But I realized that whatever I did was going to be more than USC had every done before, so I took a deep breath and took a leap of faith…in myself.
I wanted to start with something that would have high visibility and impact, and involve the whole university without anyone having to put forth too much effort. So I decided to launch a print-cartridge recycling program. The most important thing about any new initiative at USC is that it has to be something that requires little or no effort or it will not work. So I collaborated with Mailing Services and a USC supplier that sold remanufactured print-cartridges to come up with a way to collect the cartridges on pallets in Mailing Services for pick-up by the supplier. I designed this label:
The process was, departments could put cartridges in any kind of container (envelope, box, etc.), affix this label to it and put it in their outgoing mail for pick-up by Mailing Services. Mailing Services collected the cartridges on pallets until enough were collected for the supplier to come pick them up. In the first year of the program, we diverted nearly three tons of cartridges from the landfill! The program became so popular that I was contacted by a graduate student in Annenberg who wanted to record me talking about the program for a video project.
This was just one of the many initiatives I attempted to implement during my short time as the university’s sustainable sourcing specialist. Unfortunately, USC falls into that category of organizations mentioned in this week’s readings that is more interested in saving money than helping to preserve the environment for future generations. No matter how many ways I tried to make listeners understand that being green does not always need to mean spending more money, that attitude continues to prevail. I fear that the only way USC and many other organizations are going to make a conscious effort to embrace sustainability is when they are compelled to do so by changes in public policy…which will be here before you know it! But no matter how long I stand upon my green soapbox, no matter how many student groups come to me seeking my help in getting their schools and the administration to participate in their efforts to raise the visibility of sustainability, no matter how many classes, workshops, seminars and conferences I speak at, this is one of those subjects that, while it may inspire people to action at the time, is quickly forgotten when they leave the room.
The low-hanging fruit of swapping out old fluorescent lighting figures for new energy-efficient ones, recycling printer cartridges and encouraging the campus to use nothing less green than 30% PCW paper in their printers and copiers is not enough to change USC’s philosophical point of view from reactive to proactive on all things sustainable. As yet, sustainability hasn’t even gotten a mention in the university’s current $6 billion (yes, that’s billion with a B) fund raising campaign. Now, thanks to a recent reorganization within my department, I am no longer involved in sustainability at any level. This means that with the exception of the cartridge recycling program, the promotion of the use of sustainable goods at USC has ceased.
What’s a green-loving girl to do?

You pose a really interesting question! Please take a shot at answering it--how can employees of an organization (not just USC) effect sustainability change in an organization when there isn't formal support for the effort?
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it! I wrote a wonderful response to you and it disappeared :-(. Let me see if I can recreate it:
DeleteI can't speak for other organizations, but with regard to USC, I don't know that there's anything the employees can do (that they're not already trying) to effect change. The problem is that unless public policy changes, or someone with very deep pockets and a love for both USC and the environment comes along with a proposal to put his/her name on something other than a building (which are all currently being built to minimum LEED standards), I don't think the university's preference for prioritizing saving time and money over minimizing its effect on the environment is going to change. For example, I've had people tell me that their departments won't buy 30% PCW paper because it costs $1/case more than the non-environmentally friendly paper. That's $.10/ream more!!! I've also had people tell me that they think the cartridge recycling program is still too labor-intensive...they'd rather just throw the empties in the trash!
But perhaps the most shocking demonstration of lack of concern was when a group of students wanted to talk to the dean of Marshall about a sustainable project they were working on for a class, they were told by his assistant that their project wasn't enough of a priority for him to give them a meeting. WHAT??? These students are the reason USC exists! And there is going to come a time in the very near future when prospective students are going to begin deciding to attend schools they feel emulates their own personal philosophy on sustainability.
So you can see what we're facing here, and I'm sure it's not much different in other organizations...unless you work for the City of Santa Monica. They're one of the greenest organizations in the county, if not THE greenest.
Don't get me wrong...there's lots going on here, just not enough. And the majority of the efforts seem to be driven by cost savings and public policy compliance rather than true concern for the environment and preserving the planet for future generations.
Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox...haven't had the opportunity in awhile :-).
K
Hi Kerry,
ReplyDeleteBeing in your current position, do you feel that the "sustainability" trend will continue well into the future or do you feel that it's a passing phase? Purchasing products made from recycled products may cost more than regular products. Do you think that if the trend ever fades, so will the desire to purchase products made from recycled material?
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I just want to clarify that I'm no longer involved in anything related to sustainability at USC. But from my experience during the time I was, I don't think the "trend" is going anywhere but up. And with regard to products made from recycled materials being more expensive than those made from virgin materials, sometimes that's true and sometimes it isn't. For example, if you look for paperclips on Office Depot's web site, you'll see that recycled paperclips cost less than their virgin counterparts. Another product line that is trending towards being more sustainable and less costly is pens and markers. Still on the Office Depot web site, look for Pilot markers and compare the cost of their refillable markers (which are also made from recycled material and hold less toxic ink), and compare the cost of buying the marker and five refills vs. the cost of buying five markers from Expo (markers that are so toxic they've been banned from use by LAUSD).
I don't know how many of you remember the days before the $.18 Bic disposable plastic pen, but prior to that EVERYONE refilled pens! It's just a question of retraining ourselves. But when you think about the fact that there are I don't know how many tons of plastic pens in landfills that will remain there for I don't know how many centuries (because plastic is NOT biodegradable!), can't we make a LITTLE effort?
Okay, I think I've said enough for now :-).
Thanks,
Kerry
Kerry! This is phenomenal! I love your old job!! I know what a waste ink cartridges can be, and this was an excellent service.
ReplyDeleteSimple questions: Does USC not do it anymore? Also, as you mentioned you were the first with "sustainability" in your title. Were there more positions that followed, and when was your position changed from that? Did USC express interest in continuing sustainability initiatives or was it a trend that is slowly going up?
Stand tall on your soapbox! You have a great message to share.
Thanks for the props, Ashley :-). Fortunately, a year after my position was created USC hired its first Sustainability Program Manager. The person that's in the position now is fantastic and working really hard to do what she can. She's got great ideas and lots of experience (for someone in such a new field)...I just hope she doesn't get discouraged at the apathetic attitude of most of the university. I have really missed collaborating with her, but we stay in touch and she lets me know what's going on. If you come to the homecoming tailgate, you may get to see some of the evidence of her hard work. She's been promoting zero waste tailgates in preparation for moving the Coliseum towards being zero waste now that USC has gained control of it.
ReplyDeleteSo as I said in my response to Brad, there are still some things being done but not enough. USC is supposed to be a leader and an example in the community but in my experience there's been mostly lip service when it comes to widespread adoption of daily sustainable practices. But I don't think sustainability is going anywhere...it's just going to take time for the old naysayers to cycle out and the new forward-thinking generation to take their places.
Sadly, my position began to change about a year ago. But the final reorganization that stripped me of my sustainability duties just took place in July One good thing: the reorganization has allowed me more mental bandwidth to focus on school :-).
K
Hi Kerry!
ReplyDeleteMy organization (Avon Products) partners with Office Depot for all our office working supplies. We have a corporate account with them to place orders at a discount and use a special corporate phone number to ease the ordering process. Additionally, when we order toner for our printers, Office depot encloses a pre-printed postage-paid return lable so the empty cartigages can be recycled. I love the process because it makes it so easy to comply with the recycle program.
Great blog post!
Jacqueline