Social Networking and Organizational Design
The first thing
that struck me about this article was its publication date. 1983 is years (even
decades) before the advent of what we today think of as "social
media" or "social networking." This made me curious to learn
just what the authors meant by a social network and how, in their opinion, it
relates to organizational design performance. I did not have long to wait. In
the second page of the article, Pearce and David expand upon Schuler's (1975)
claim that an organization consists of an interpersonal network that, though
relatively stable, can impact the social system that surrounds the organization
through both information exchange and influence relationships (1983, p. 437). They
explain their hypothesis so succinctly that I find it difficult to describe it
here without quoting the entire article. So instead, I will try to draw
comparisons between their approach and some of the techniques covered in our
reading this week.
As Goold and
Campbell put it so eloquently, "Organizational structures rarely result
from systematic methodical planning. Rather, they evolve overtime...shaped more
by politics than by policies" (2002, p. 5). If you read further, the
inference is that there are many non-scientific factors that can contribute to
the success or lack of success of any organizational structure. When people are
involved (and what organization does not involve people?), there will always exist
the propensity for emotion and human nature to enter into things. In fact, I
would argue that it is an eventuality. For example, in their opening paragraph
Goold and Campbell refer to "frustration," "turf wars," and
"lack of managerial attention," all human factors, as contributing to
potential organizational design collapse (2002, p. 5).
By way of comparison,
Pearce and David do refer to familiar organizational components such as
"work teams," "departments," and "divisions"
(1983, p. 437). All of these elements were included in this week's readings as
key components of various models of organizational structure. They also talk
about vertical and horizontal hierarchies. But their theory goes beyond the
organizational chart, the communications strategy and the environmental factors
that create a successful organizational design. They speak very candidly about
the impact that informal social networks within an organization can have and
how ignoring their contribution to an organization's structure is almost a
sure-fire way of guaranteeing the failure of that structure on some level.
It was
interesting to note that the authors were not the first researchers to examine
this theory. In fact, their paper cites studies by researchers going as far
back as 1966. Most of these past studies took place in the 1970s and used nine group
structural properties that are descriptive of both groups (connectedness,
centrality, etc.) and individuals (stars, isolates, and liaisons). Still,
Pearce and David appear to be disappointed by the fact that the number of
studies is too small and the diversity of the research settings too limited for
these studies to be conclusive (1983, p. 440).
In addition to
the shortcomings pointed out by the authors, I perceive that the studies were
done on only two types of organizational design: mechanistic and organic. The
authors' definition of a mechanistic design seems to most closely approximate
what we have come to know as a functional design; since their only definition
of organic is that it is the opposite of mechanistic, I can only assume that it
resembles a divisional structure (1983, p. 438). But what about the other types
of organizational designs, such as the matrix model or one of the many emerging
models as described by Nohria (1995, p. 8)? It would be interesting to do a
literature search and follow Pearce and David's journey to the end of their
story.
References
Goold, M. & Campbell, A. (2002, March). Do you have a
well-designed organization? Harvard
Business Review.
Nohria, N. (1995, June 30). Note on organizational structure. Boston,
MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.
Pearce, J. A.,II, & David, F. R. (1983). A social network
approach to organizational design-performance. The Academy of Management
Review, 8(3), pp. 436-444. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.libproxy.usc.edu/stable/257832
Schuler, R. S. (1975). Role perceptions, satisfaction and
performance: A partial reconciliation. Journal
of Applied Psychology, 60, pp. 683-687.
Kerry, I enjoyed reading your blog post this week. I honestly thought the phrase Social Network was a new term regarding the My Space and Facebook revolution too! It was interesting to read Pearce and David identify the human side of organizations and the impact of informal social networks within an organization. The dated references of previous studies sited are interesting as well because as we read in Chapter 3 of this weeks reading, many of the structural changes happening in organizations today are directly related to the advancement of technology and information systems, which could not have been imagined in the 60s or 70s.
ReplyDeleteAndrea, you are definitely not alone in your thinking! As I mentioned, I had always thought of social networking as a new addition to the lexicon. Makes me curious to research how it morphed from an organizational term to a technological one.
DeleteVery interesting interpretation Kerry! Social networking took on a whole different meaning in recent years but from the beginning it always had the same premise. Communication is a central piece in organizations and social networking allows this to happen. It was nice to read about the personal side of organizations in relation to the actual human beings that work there. I think we may need to keep this in mind for our final project.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely, Melinda! I think it would be interesting to see how far we could go with this more unexpected take on social networking. I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more about this in our weekly readings, but maybe there will be in the weeks to come. Even though the data in the article I reviewed is 20 years old, I bet we could find some good follow-up reading to it.
DeleteKerry,
ReplyDeleteYou make some very interesting connections about the effects of human aspects in structure. I think any organization can have a certain type of structure in place, but how employees will respond to that structure is really what keeps the system of communication flowing. During my assignment this week I interviewed our organization's CFO. I made sure to ask her about some of Nohria's central concepts of structure, particularly the ones related to more social aspects. The politics, the relationships people form at work with each other, and the levels of authority, all play such an important role on how employees communicate and how the organization grows.
Allison,
DeleteYes, I picked up on that in your post, and your CFO obviously recognizes the value in tapping into that informal network. It's no secret that they exist so to pretend otherwise would be foolish. As the saying goes...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Might as well utilize a free resource, right? Plus, it's a huge boost to employee morale as it makes even front line employees feel like they're "in the know."
It's so true! You both (Allison and Kerry) bring up important facts. I have gone into jobs before saying I'll keep personal and life separate. That I go in strictly to work and go home. However, it's true that those organic alliances and "friendships" are incredibly significant to how a company operates and how many growing pains it experiences. I too am fascinated that this study came out so many years ago.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you brought up "Organizational structures rarely result from systematic methodical planning. Rather, they evolve overtime...shaped more by politics than by policies." Using an extreme example of when I worked at Disneyland - who were very systematic in their planning especially when it came to our appearance, I'll say that while that company did control the environment in many ways, there were definite "unwritten" hierarchies to working in the park. Which land to work in if you were a lifer, or if you wanted to run a business some day, or if you just wanted to meet attractive, fun co-workers. It's the human element, then we seek out those that emulate what we hope to accomplish!