Monday, September 17, 2012

CMGT 500 Week 01; Assignment 01: I recognized all organizational theories at one job!


After reading this week about the various organization theories, I immediately thought of my time working in the non-profit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training (TNT).  In a nutshell, my position was to recruit participants to complete endurance events and fundraise for our mission, plus engage the volunteers to help run and support future teams. 
TIME STUDY FOR EMPLOYEES: 
EFFECTIVE:  We ran 4 overlapping fundraising campaigns that occupied the whole year.  Based on history, in line with Frederick W. Taylor’s ideas for time study, management had figured out just how much time each task takes, and the ideal position and length of time for when and how long it should occur during or before the campaign. Additionally they’d identified the best tasks to delegate to volunteers who also were ranked in mentor or captain roles to either be helping the participants, or helping run the team. We also knew ideally based on our area and our resources, just how many people we’d be able to recruit and how much we’d be expected to raise. 
In theory, it was really simple to back out the dates from the start of our campaign and just follow the timeline.  The goal was once the team was engaged to divvy up remaining campaign duties to the volunteers we’d recruited and trained earlier (if we followed the timeline,) then pretty soon the team runs itself as we gear up to start the next season. 
There were rewards if we performed above our expected number, beat last year’s performance, and if we met the goal overall as a chapter.
LESS EFFECTIVE:  There were so many factors that affected our ability to recruit volunteers or participants that often the timeline overflowed as we scrambled to find one more volunteer, one more participant. The hours of the work day would be extended as we threw one more happy hour, or one more informational meeting.  Especially when one was new to a territory, the hours to research the territory, forming the relationship with volunteers and find participants (as well as forming relationships with local businesses) quickly became a round-the-clock job.  Plus the incentives don’t measure up to the time spent and the furious pace so manager and volunteer burnout was a common problem with the average employee lasting 2 years, less if they had a family.
MANAGEMENT SKILLS OVER JOB KNOWLEDGE: 
EFFECTIVE: Consistent with Fayol’s findings that managerial ability outweighs knowledge, I offer my own experience with being a manager.  The 3 things we looked for above all else when hiring Campaign Managers like myself were 1) They’d experienced TNT as a participant, 2) They had marketing experience, 3) Very organized and driven.  Before starting the position, I’d been involved with the Teams in various volunteer roles, including helping recruit people, helping mentor participants, and being Fundraising captain.  On my own I’d raised about $8,000, plus I’d thrown events that had raised even more.  I had a background in marketing production and job trafficking, including guest services and marketing. Because of my experience, I was excelling at the job and encouraged to apply to be a Director within a month after I arrived. 
LESS EFFECTIVE: While I have the ability to manage people through the campaign, because on some level they already want to be successful, and if they forget why, I reminded them. When I was suddenly managing 5 of my peers who’d been there longer than I had before I even had a grasp of how a full campaign would take place, and they were disillusioned or unmotivated, I didn’t know where to start to help them.  I knew how to manage jobs, but not necessarily people.  While I set a good example for my employees and we conducted periodic audits, I was forced to become engrossed in every detail of their efforts, to find out why “the timeline” wasn’t working for them.  We also tried to form unity with the employees, but realistically, we were all competing against each other, including myself (because for a long time, I still had my old job as a Team manager in addition to my new Director role. Likewise, there were campaign managers who’d never participated in the Team (so lacked certain “experience”), but who had better managerial skills and when they were promoted to a new level, they thrived.
WEBER’S BUREAUCRACY:
EFFECTIVE:  There was a clear division of Labor that existed within the office. Each territory had a campaign manager, each campaign manager reported to one of 3 directors (divided up by sport or region – for example one director may have the West/North LA marathon Teams, the South/East LA marathon Teams, while the third had the smaller sports of cycle, hike and triathlon), and the directors reported to a senior director who oversaw everything. They reported to a national director, and so on up the ranks.
LESS EFFECTIVE:  We constantly redefined the way Teams were split up when we had the luxury of 3 directors. At one point though, we were down to 1 director and ½ the teams reported to me and the other ½ reported to the senior director. Because of this, it created a false superiority in that they felt they had the “pipeline” to the boss whereas the others still had to get through a layer to get to the boss.  We often had no choice but to hire employees that we thought could probably do the job (to fill an immediate need), only to have them not perform as hoped – partially due to a bad fit, partially due to incomplete training. Also the lines blurred as far as overlap with areas vs. sports – (should the marketing on the Westside be handled by the West Marathon Team or the West Cycle Team?).

Still, I’ll say one great thing about the non-profit is we’re resourceful, quick on our feet to adapt to new directions and outside circumstances effecting our campaigns, but perhaps if we just stuck with something a little bit longer! Go Team!

13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed really a personal story of management. It goes to
    show how management skills really does need to be learned through
    experience as Taylor encouraged. Moreover, I felt as in your case,
    management skills were more important that job knowledge because as
    the manager, your most important job was that your peers needed to
    learn from you and that you needed to teach them how to carry on the
    project. There's so many situations and events that could happen in a
    daily job function, and there's a limit to how much theory and job
    knowledge can prepare you; thus, managers become more important to
    help them learn and grow. Also, as a true science, I appreciated how
    you placed your positives and negatives so that you always know how to
    improve your management skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Lee! I try to learn something new every day (or many things a day as the case will be for the next 18 months) but the biggest value I've been finding these first two weeks are truly taking a closer look at my work experience, making sense of it, and piecing what I'll take from each experience and bring it forward with me through the rest of my career and to know that even the things that didn't work as I'd hoped will prove to be the largest learning experiences!
      Thanks for your comments!
      Best,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Great job at applying this week’s theories to you own experience. You mentioned that your management staff had identified what the best role for volunteers would be. I think this goes hand-in -hand Taylor’s idea of “working smarter”. It seems like your team had a goal in mind from the get go, and you all worked together to maximize your labor to achieve the highest productivity! I truly believe having a plan is such an essential part of running an effective campaign. It is no surprise Henri Fayol identified it as one of his ‘Elements of Management’. At the same time … it makes sense that some of your staff would feel burnout, because from your description it sounds like the campaign was very past paced and the hours were long. I also found it very insightful for you to share about your experience with managing people as opposed to managing projects. I struggle with a similar dynamic in my current position. Like you, I work for a nonprofit and absolutely agree that we are a resourceful bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison,
      Working smarter, not harder was our daily mantra! However, then, having a momentary downtime, we'd find a way to fill it with new event we've always wanted to try, or a new training program for volunteers and such. Nonprofits can be such an amazing bootcamp for businesses for those early in their career because you learn so much and learn how to do it with little to no money which makes you attracive to future employers!
      Good for you for your contributions! I look forward to hearing more about it in our upcoming group conference calls.
      Thank you for commenting!
      Best,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I really liked how you took a primary theory from each of the scholars and put it into terms of what worked and what didn't work. Taylor's time study, in the context of his time, was measuring one specific task like putting a steel rivet into a beam. Now, how many distractions are your employees dealing with during the day especially with social media, etc. Your organization also seems to be moving the goal line by hosting one more event, one more drive whereas Taylor seemed to keep his workers to an 8 or 9 hour day. Also, when other companies tried and failed at implementing Scientific Management and failed, Taylor blamed it on the way they carried out the time study, and as far as I can tell, failed to consider any flaw in the theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John,
      I think that tendency on where to place the blame still runs pretty prevalent through companies - I'm not talking about this one persay with this thought. I've definitely worked places where people come in with cookie cutter approach and when it doesn't work, the fact that it may not be a one-size-fits-all plan isn't considered - the fault falls on how the plan was carried out.
      Thank you for your comments!
      Best,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Sarah, your blog hit home with me since I am a leukemia survivor and I appreciate your dedication to that noble organization. Wow, you and your team did some amazing work and I can see how management skill over technical ability can provide success. It's clearly a situation where knowing how to call the shots helped get the job done. Organizing several events and many different people demands management skills that draw from Taylor and Fayol. A successful outcome required the management skills and efficiency we read in the material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael,
      I'm still extremely dedicated too, I have to say. I'm already picking another event to do with Team In Training to celebrate when I finish this program because LLS truly is an amazing non-profit and are a responsible one as well working on a very efficient 25/75 ratio meaning only 25% of all money raised goes towards operating budget while 75% goes to find a cure, and to assist patients and their families. Now that I talk through this too I'm thinking that while we were a larger chapter by comparison to the rest, the fact that we're still operating off such a tight budget (more characteristic of a smaller company) truly meant that having a good technical background on the campaign would help more than managment on some levels.
      Thanks for your feedback!
      Best,
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Sarah,

    Great tie in to this weeks readings. I see so many similarities between your experience and my organization. I really like how you examined each method at work and the ways in which they were or were not effective. I completely agree with your statements in analyzing the methods at work in my own organization I see the benefits in streamlining worker productivity but at times the bureaucracy can slow down or hinder progress due to needing to go through so many channels. We also struggle with hiring staff with management training. Often times they have the clinical training as an RN or Respiratory Therapist, but lack the skill sets to manage and run the department smoothly.

    Isn't it interesting that organizations today are still using many components of all three men's work yet in different variations to find a t fit that is best fitted for the organization or workforce.

    Thanks for giving us insight into your work history through this assignment.

    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah!

    I enjoyed reading your blog because I have participated in the training for a century ride through Team in Training. Additionally, your experience as an employeee is similiar to my job responsibilities. I recruit and fund raise too. It can be challenging because I am expected to recruit 100 new people each month. Did you have set expectations on new recruits?

    Great post!
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline,
      Good for you riding 100 miles! WOW! Now we know where to find you when you're shaking out your legs and loosening up the ideas in your head for your assignments!
      We had revenue goals - set by our region's history and potential and broken down into 4 campaigns a year. From that we'd back out how many participants we'd need to recruit, retain, and such to meet our financial goal. On average, in order to justify our position we had to be raising $250K a year, many of the goals were closer to $500K.
      Truthfully, I feel like the position translates into the real world as an "inside sales" position where a lot of customer service goes on, disseminating new info and grooming people to increase their commitment and hit new levels. I look forward to talking "shop" with you on our Group in the last 7 weeks.
      Thanks for the comments,
      Sarah

      Delete
  7. Sarah,

    excellent post. Fayol makes distinctions between large and small organizations and the value of management knowledge--how might that apply here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Shipley, Looking at the smaller chapters in the non-profit, it's true that when there are 4 people handling all of the operations for a chapter in a smaller town in middle America, for example, what Fayol says about just needing to know all the nuts and bolts of how to run the successful campaign are the basic needs and everyone buys into the vision just making sure that it's carried off well. For us, while small compared to many other companies, as a chapter we were one of the Top 5 in volume and had a huge, spread out and very diverse area to cover and were the largest campain for the chapter with over 1/2 of the staff belonging to our campaign. Because we were in a chapter with 3 other campaigns, significantly different from ours, it was a constant dance within the whole chapter, (not just our campaign) to not overuse resources, to develop people from one campaign to a larger one, while still fulfilling their interests. So here, it was more important for the Executive Director to have the managerial skills, without the technical skill of the individual campaigns (although I give our ED credit for participating in each of our campaigns so that she gained the skill).
      Fayol also points out the managerial traits of intelligence, experience, etc. but the fact that he points out "proportion" really spoke to me. On the one hand we were allowed many liberties to be creative with our campaigns due to our outstanding performance, on the other hand, we constantly dealt with what National would hand down to us with policies, new events, promotional campaigns. That coupled with the Unity of command being split between our supervisor expecting the numbers, and our hired (and invaluable) coaches/support staff who were unofficially calling the shots, created a really large grey area.
      Thanks for the opportunity to dig deeper.
      Best,
      Sarah

      Delete