The readings this week
really made a connection with the organization design of my current employer
and our road to change. I work for
Nevada HAND, Inc. (NHI), a nonprofit organization that essentially builds
apartment complexes to house only low-income populations. HAND, stands for Housing And Neighborhood
Development.
Organization Overview
Unlike most nonprofits
we are fortunate to receive most our funding from local jurisdictions and
investors through housing grants and tax credits. For example, here is a quick overview of how
one of our developments comes to live:
1.
Land for
development gets donated by the City of Las Vegas (or other jurisdiction)
2.
NHI applies for
grants from investors or local jurisdictions
3.
Once funding is
received, HAND Construction , an entity affiliated with NHI, builds the
apartment complex
4.
HAND Property
Management, an entity affiliated with NHI, is in charge of leasing the property;
property staff is also managed by this department
5.
Compliance
Department - this group is in charge of ensuring residents of each property
meet all federal income guidelines to qualify to live at an NHI property. This
is how NHI is able to serve only low-income individuals
6.
Property opens
to the public
A MultiBusiness Organization
After reading the piece
by Lorsch, A Note on Organizational Design, I identified NHI as a multibusiness
organization. We currently own and/or
operate 38 affordable apartment complexes that house seniors and families.
I applied Figure E, on
page 16, to illustrate the way I see our organizational design. Picture is below (I apologize for the small size; had some technical challenges with this)
The reason I picked this figure is because while
we have a central corporate office, each apartment complex works a separate
business unit. We also share resource
between properties, especially since there is a high turnover of property management
and maintenance staff.
Our challenge with Differentiation
As I explained in the
Organization Overview, we have a system in place for the way we develop our
projects. This system has not seen a significant
change throughout the years. I believe
this has allowed us to learn from our mistakes and really excel in the area of differentiation,
with each department understanding the tasks it must follow.
“The negative side is
that the greater the differentiation among units of an organization, the more difficult
it becomes for members to communicate across unit boundaries.” (Lorsch, 1975)
This quote defines one
of the main problems we are currently experiencing. For example, recently a property manager
hosted a game night for residents, but she opened the event to the public in
order to generate leads for new residents.
The following day there was another game night planned by the Resident Services
department at the same property. Both
events were held as scheduled and staff provided refreshments for attendees. Resources and labor were doubled here due to
the lack of communication between departments.
Both departments should have combined forces and held the event together
in one night; “Working smarter” as Frederick Taylor pointed out in our readings
last week.
Star Model & Built-to-Change
As the Star Model
points out the foundation of each organization has a number of components that
are interconnected. At NHI the five
dimensions of the Star Model have remained the same for many years. Our Strategy is best described through our mission
to serve low-income populations. Our Structure
is established with the Board and Corporate offices as the head business unit. Our Processes have both vertical and
horizontal flows depending on each department.
Our Rewards, give employees the same options for benefits, savings
plans, and a set salary scale. Finally
our People, is the area where we have grown the most over the last 5 years.
As an organization we
are experiencing a number of growing pains.
In 2010, our President and CEO engaged a consultant to help us change our
communication strategies between departments. Since then we have established committees to
help us plan and be more efficient. However,
communication continues to be a challenge, as I described in the property
manager example earlier.
“Even the most advanced
change models will stumble when they face organizational designs and management
practices that are inherently anti-change.” (Worley & Lawler, 2006).
I would not describe
NHI as anti-change but I think our management team needs to understand the need
for change first, before they can help implement it in their individual
departments. Most of our employees are finding
change to be a stressful process. Our corporate
office staff has been the most resistant to any change in the last two
years. This is due to the fact that many
employees at corporate have been with the organization for more than 10 years
and are used to working in a certain way.
As an organization we need to dig deeper into the basic components of
our organizational design, before we experiment with more changes that may not improve
our overall strategy.
Interesting case (and very cool organization!). If you were the change consultant and you were focusing on implementation of these strategy changes, what recommendations might you make?
ReplyDeleteAllison, I love reading about the NHI and I look forward to more of your work regarding it's ins and outs.
ReplyDeleteYour perspective reminds me that it is always a challenge to get people to change if it is not written into the mission as a primary strategy for success. I can imagine that those people who have been working at the agency for a decade feel there's no need for change, and it's a shame that they don't see the opportunity for growth out of it. It seems now, youthful nonprofits are all about changing ways and adapting, while older ones tend to remain stagnant. But I agree with your conclusion as well, in situations such as this, first the current design must be identified then improvements/changes can be made.
I'm curious, what is the general energy of the people that you work with? Are there more that agree with the corporate office (no changes necessary) or more that seek changes?
Great article
Hi Brad and Ashley,
ReplyDeleteThank you both for your comments. I am glad you are intrigued with NHI. Part of me feared I would bore some students with all the details! But I hope I'm able to address your questions here.
Brad - If I had to pick two of our biggest issues, I would say it is mostly the People and Culture. My first recommendation would be to do a quick survey of employee attitudes, but also ask about the nonprofit itself. For example a question could be: "Can you recite the mission of NHI from memory, without looking at our website?" I really think to create Culture we need to ensure that all employees understand what the company is about and what the overall mission is. So that when we are ready to make some changes, as we are now, people trust that this change will be for the better. I think this will lessen some of the resistance. Also I would recommend that Property Managers and Resident Service Coordinator (per property) meet once a month and compare calendars. This will not only serve our residents better, but it will also help with leasing efforts and costs.
Ashley - The energy among employees varies. At the corporate office things are very business-like, so I would describe the energy as busy and a bit tense. However ..it changes when you look at the staff at our actual properties. I think this is mostly because the apartment managers deal directly with the public, so they are a lot more upbeat and ready to handle last minute chaos. In summary, I think our employees on site would be more open to change. For example, several have asked why NHI does not have a Facebook page? It is something I have been talking about for months. We are headed in that direction, slowly ..but we're getting there!
Hi Allison!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great comany to work for! You must feel proud of the work you do to help others find affordable housing opportunities!
My organization went through a huge organizational change over the last two years. Many people were reluctant to cooperate with upper management once the strategy was announced and implemented. As a result, many people left the company to look for work in other industries. Throughout my professional career, I have faced many changes, but learned to be flexible with these types of decisions. The most important factor in any organizational change is the communication process. When employees feel they have been given all of the important information, they can trust the outcome more easily. The opposite is true when they feel information has been withheld. Any experience with having information withheld from you at work?
I loved how you tied the reading into your personal experience!
Jacqueline
Thanks for the feedack Jacqueline. I've been at NHI for 3 years now and I think I have a good understanding of our business and product. However, this was not the case when I first staretd. I really felt I had to "dig" for some this basic information. I remember always asking my boss at the time to explain concepts about tax credits, financing, housing market ...and it was difficult to get clear answers. I think other employees may struggle with the same questions, which is why one of my suggestions was to do a survey of employee attitudes and knowledge.
ReplyDelete