Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 10 Organizational Culture

Building Organizational Structure Through Tailgate Parties





When organizational culture comes to mind, my guess is that your first thought is not about tailgate parties. However, tailgating is as much a part of university culture as is the academics. Moreover, tailgating is a part of the socialization structure of an organization including college or university structures. According to Chapla (2012), John Sherry, marketing professor and cultural anthropologist at the University of Notre Dame, completed a study in organizational and community building using tailgating parties before college football games. The results of the study concluded that tail gate parties help to build brand recognition, protect school traditions, and helps to grow community loyalty (Chapla, 2012).

 Fans turn game-day into festive rituals, which continues throughout ones lifetime having been passed down from one generation to the next. “Tailgating is actually a very complex social, community building exercise, not simply a wild party, during which fans are able to connect with and actually help create their school’s brand,” Sherry says. Tailgating is as much a part of the school's tradition as is the marching band or school's mascot. The bigger the turnout for tailgating revelers, the bigger the brand. “Tailgating, for the fans, is literally helping to create Notre Dame, or Michigan, or USC” (Chapla, 2012, p. 1).  Moreover, tailgating is a fundamental part of the football program at any university. The fans help to create the culture of the school and more importantly the football program. During football season, fans build relationships with other fans building upon a group relationship as noted by Hofstede (2009). These group relationships begin to flourish in parking lots across the nation during football season and continue to grow year after year.


Fan loyalty is steeped in tradition. These traditions are related to the past and the future of the team as well as the focus regarding efforts in keeping with tradition. Fan loyalty connects directly to Hofstede's Long Term versus Short Term Orientation, related to the choice of focus for people's efforts: the future or the present and past (2009). Thanks to fan loyalty, tailgate traditions happen on most college campus' around the country on game day. This process builds upon the connection the fans have with their school or team and in turn builds upon the brand. The majority of fans wear school regalia to show support for their chosen team as seen in the photo above right. However, not all fans celebrate in the same way. "Grounding their research at Notre Dame, Sherry and Bradford, and a group of student research assistants, also examine rival teams’ tailgates at Notre Dame, as well as tailgates at other college campuses. Sherry says all are rooted in tradition and celebration, but there are notable differences. For example, in the south, tailgaters dress formally in tuxedos and ball gowns. On the coast, tailgates occur in boats and yachts outside stadiums" (Chapla, 2012, p. 1). Whatever your school's chosen form of celebration, partaking in the party can help drive the team toward success.


So the next time you are asked to attend a tailgate party, remember you will be contributing to the school's brand by having fun supporting your team. Moreover, according to Chapla (2012), attending a tailgate party helps one's team throughout the game, and hopefully toward a victory.  Since SC plays undefeated Notre Dame this coming weekend, maybe the SC tailgaters will help bring home a victory for USC! One can always hope!






References

Chapla, S. (2012, September 06). University of notre dame: Not simply a party. Retrieved from     http://business.nd.edu/news_and_events/news_articles_article.aspx?id=11805

Hofstede, G. (2009). Dimensionalizing cultures: The hofstede model in context. Conceptual issues in  psychology and culture, 2(1),

6 comments:

  1. Jacqueline,

    I loved your application of organizational culture to tailgates. Tailgating is a HUGE part of football. I know we start early and proudly wear our orange and blue. I think the culture extends not only to those in the intimate tailgate but also the surrounding tailgates. Complete strangers end up bonding over their mutual love for a their team. This is evident when someone from the opposing team passes by and everyone around boos them. This might not be nice but it's the way things are when it comes to supporting your team.

    Very insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melinda!

      What does your orange and blue represent? I love how strangers can form an instant bond because they both cheer for the same team. I love how cultural divide disappears when diverse populations support the same side. I find it fascinating that team spirit can bring people together who may not connect in any other manner.

      Thank you for your kind words!
      GO USC!!
      Jacqueline

      Delete
  2. Jacqueline, fun post. A question: I absolutely love college football, but why do colleges even have football teams? International students are often baffled by American college athletics. Instead of taking the cynical position--colleges do it for the money--duh! I wonder if you could make an argument for the organizational culture of a university as it relates to college football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Shipley! I love college football too! I grew up watching Notre Dame football every weekend during football season as my dad attended Notre Dame and was one of the managers for the football team. He is an avid fan to this day! To answer your question, I think colleges and universities have sports programs because it draws athletes to schools and give fans something to cheer about as one family. As a football fan and member of the Trojan family, I watch the games and enjoy cheering for my team. I feel like I am a part of something bigger than my current surroundings.

      Several weeks ago, I was running in the woods when a group of women stopped me to pet my dogs. One of the ladies spoke up immediately to ask me about my Trojan t-shirt. She earned her master's degree at SC and wanted to ask about my shirt. It made me feel proud to represent my school and be acknowledged for being a member of the school. I told my husband I felt a sisterhood between us even though we had just met. I think this example is why colleges have sports programs. These programs have the potential to bring all members of the school together as one.

      As for the big game on Saturday, I told my dad I would be wearing a Trojan t-shirt with his Notre Dame letter sweater over it. He laughed!

      Delete
  3. Jacqueline,
    Your post was so fun to read and I think you were pretty creative in correlating tailgates to organizational structure as it relates to university culture. I attended my first USC game this month and experienced first hand the tradition and brand identification. There were so many tents and groups and clubs and families all representing their team spirit in various ways. It really made the football game experience more exciting as a spectator and I believe it does give a nice push for the home team. This was very interesting. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I wish I was able to attend the game and pre-game festivities! I bet it was so much fun to see how Trojans celebrate before the game. It takes a lot of effort to pull off a tailgate party, but I can understand why so many people take the time and make the effort to support their team. I have attended tailgate parties with my dad and remember how proud he felt for his team before the game even started. He is still so proud to be a Notre Dame graduate and displays that pride in the form of car stickers and school apparel. I learned so much from watching my dad experience that level of school pride, and now I feel that pride for my own team! And yes, I do have a USC sticker on my car now!

      Thank you for your response!
      Jac

      Delete