Interview questions
Tell
me about yourself and your career.
My name is Olivia I work for Hospice
El Paso it is a non for profit organization. My title is Community Relations Representative
or liaison. I work in the marketing department along with the Admissions Department.
My job consists of building relationships, creating marketing material,
educating physicians, social workers, nurses, hospital staff and families on
hospice. It is very challenging but rewarding as well.
Do
you have a strong communication plan within your organization?
Yes. We have several plans that are
put in to use regarding different situations that may come up from time to
time.
Are
there internal networks within your organization that are separate from the
organizational chart?
None that are recognized by
the company. There are always going to
be people talking to their friends during the day and there isn’t much we can
do about that.
Are
people getting their information from friends or from supervisors?
Sometimes. This is why we have the
communication plans in place. We try to eliminate the dispersion of information
through informal networks. These could be really bad for the company if informal
networks are distributing information. Especially if it involves a specific
employee or if it has to do with structural changes.
Do
social networks allow you to distribute information quickly or does it make it
harder to communicate with staff?
It makes it harder to communicate
with staff. Sometimes we try to talk to employees and they already know the
information we are talking to them about. The only thing is that they don’t
know the whole picture. What they think they know came from a friend who heard
only bits of the conversation while they were passing by or from another
co-worker. This makes our jobs that much harder when distributing information.
Do
you have any external networking that helps with your job?
Yes, I do. I use these external
contacts to provide me with information from other organizations or new laws
and procedures that could affect the way we operate.
How
important is social networking to you?
It’s very important. The flow of
information between individuals can either make or break an organization.
What
is more important networking internally or externally?
Internal networks are more
important. These are the people we say day in and day out. If these networks aren’t
functioning well then there can be serious problems for ourselves and our
clients.
What
do you use your external networking contacts for?
I use them to obtain new information,
get referrals, fundraisers, and other things like that.
What
do you use your internal networking for?
I use the internal networks in order
to provide the right level of care as well as to make my job easier in the
field. They help me network on the outside.
When
relaying information to staff do you rely on a set network or the staff’s
informal networks?
A set network, even though we know
the informal networks will take over at some point.
As
in their friends telling friends?
Yes. Exactly.
This interview helped me understand that management sometimes knows that people are going to talk to their friends no matter what. It doesn't matter how strong of a communication plan you have in your organization, information will get out through informal networks. I think it would be best to study these informal networks and use them to your advantage.
Hi Melinda,
ReplyDeleteI thought your interview was interesting. With hospice, I'm sure the organization has to be extremely careful about what kind of information is getting out through these informal networks. Do you think the organization "plans" for these informal networks and keeps other information more secret between a few key people?
I also agree with Olivia's comment that internal networks are more valuable than external networks. Although external networks do come in handy if you're looking for a new job.
-Melanie
Very true about external contacts when you're looking for a new job. That is exactly what I am doing now. I didn't include it but Olivia did mention HIPPA when we were talking about the types of information that can get out. This past Monday we had a meeting at work to introduce us to our new supervisor, but we already knew who it was. We used our own little informal networks the weeks before and even knew what was said during interviews, who applied and who got the position. I really think these networks need to be utilized in some way but of course like you said some information needs to be select.
ReplyDeleteHi Melida,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting when different people respond to the effectiveness of social networks within the org. Olivia seems to indicate that at the hospital, they are very reliant on the formal structure and when people step out of it for information, they may lose information along the way. She also indicates the attempt to redirect people back to the formal structure. Other organizations may say that the social network is the only way they can keep people in the loop. It's interesting to see what works for what organizations.
I find it funny that despite her viewpoint, she seems to agree that eventually a developing social network will surpass the formal structure. It seems to be a cycle there!
Great interview.
Hi Melinda,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your interview with Olivia. Interesting that the first thing she said after she began describing her job functions was: "building relationships". This was genuine and I don't think many people are in tune with the fact that building relationships is definitely easier said than done. Working at a hospice I can see how they have a number of plans in place, to deal with different scenarios. She mentioned that social networks make communication efforts with staff more difficult, since some employees are getting information faster, but necessarily accurate information. It sounds like as a result Olivia and her team have to do some damage control and clarify to employees why some decisions are made. This is potentially a common frustration for employers, since they cannot control how fast certain information is spread. Even though she expressed some of the limitations, I think Olivia definitely sees the value in networking both internally and externally. I enjoyed reading about how networking is applicable to her nonprofit. Thanks for sharing!