In 2011, for about a month, I worked at the Holiday Inn
Express. I was in between jobs and my sister had an opening at her hotel. I absolutely
loved working there. It was a great environment and it truly felt like my work
was appreciated. This is my interview with my sister regarding her hotels and
their reward system.
Tell me about yourself and your career.
My name is Denise
Acuña, Director of Sales for El Paso's most newest hotels, Holiday Inn Express
Airport & Staybridge Suites. I have been in the hospitality industry for 11
years now.
What kind of reward system do you have within your
organization?
My company offers
several incentives for our employees throughout the month and year. The
hotel management staff offers an "Employee of the Month" and
"Employee of the Quarter" reward system. Employee of the month gets a
$25.00 gift card along with a really nice plaque with their name on
it. Employee of the quarter gets a $75.00 Visa Gift card and a really nice
keepsake plaque.
How important is a reward system in any organization?
I believe it’s very
important to our employees to get that recognition and appreciation for their
hard work. Our employees actually look forward to it.
Do you offer incentives to your employees? If so, what kind?
In my Sales dept.,
I offer monthly incentives to my Front Desk Agents that bring me company leads
in which end up turning into long term committed business for our hotel. I also
reward my staff with gift cards to Subway, Starbucks, Red Lobster etc.
Why do you have these incentives?
I offer incentives
from my dept. to show my staff that they are just as important as I am to make
our hotel successful. Offering incentives also gives them that feeling of
accomplishment and they feel good therefore their attitude is cheery, welcoming
and positive. Their attitude is a huge factor for our guests
satisfaction and future returns.
What about employee appreciation? How does your company
handle that?
Our company also
offers an employee appreciation luncheon every month. We as the management
staff cater lunch for all our employees and give them praise for all their hard
work. Here is where we also announce the employee of the month. In
December we also go all out and host our Christmas Party. We shower them
with gifts and provide a catered meal.
Are there areas you feel need improvement?.
I believe the
current incentives we have set up right now have been working really well for
all of us.
.
What do you think are the reasons people want to work for
your company?
The hotel industry
is very exciting. There will never be a day that is ever the same. I
honestly believe people want to come work at our hotel because of the fun,
exciting and safe environment we provide. It's very easy going and we are a
family.
What made you want to work for the company?
The pay! Actually
my company offered me a position that was new and exciting to me. I was given
an opportunity to open a brand new hotel from the bottom up. That is an
opportunity that not all people get.
Are these reasons why you continue to work for the company?
My company has
given me a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have open two hotels for them in
less than 7 months. It's very rare for someone my age to do so. It's going to
be very impressive in my resume some day. They have given me unlimited amounts
of resources to be successful and they have training for anything I could
possible think of. They are constantly praising me from my General Manger to my
CEO. I love going to work every day. They allow me a schedule that's incredibly
flexible.
When recruiting new employees what would you tell them about
the company?
That we are AWESOME
and they're fools for not wanting to be one of us!
What about punishment? How does your company handle that?
In the event that
an employee needs to be reprimanded, we have procedures where we will coach and
counsel them 1st. We ask them what happened and how we got to this point. Our
staff is empowered to make decisions. We hope that their decisions are
reasonable and if not we will guide them to learn from it and not make the same
mistakes again for the interest of our hotel.
Is there a structure to follow or is it on a case by case
basis?
Each employee and
department has daily assignments that help us stay productive.
Tell me about the special events you hold for employees.
Aside from our
employee appreciation and Christmas celebration, we also have Service
Appreciation week (June) and we shower all staff and departments with a
"Thank You". For example we decorate the housekeepers’ carts and fill
it with goodies and fun items. We play games during that week like scavenger
hunts and toss a cross. We also participate in fundraisers for our charity, “Give
Kids the World". We tend to do this on a quarterly basis and host ice
cream socials. We offer all kinds of flavors and toppings and whatever our
guests would like to donate, we certainly appreciate it. During the fall we
have a pumpkin carving contest. We buy each employee a pumpkin and whoever
carves the best one gets a really neat prize.
Interesting perspective Melinda!!
ReplyDeleteI have to mention I worked at a hotel also for about a month and it was AWFUL! Of course, it was a different chain (I won't mention) but the management was so rude to employees and and everyone clearly felt under-appreciated for the hard work they put into it day to day. I literally worked for two weeks and put in my two weeks and left. It's really nice here to get a perspective of why a profession in the hotel industry is so successful, and how much it relates to individual motivation to work there.
I noticed your sister mentioned three of the four points of motivating an employee as mentioned by Nohria, Groysberg, & Lee. She talked about the family like atmosphere, the great job design (sounds like a wonderful opportunity for her to build a hotel from the ground up!), a well thought out rewards system that really motivates people. Would you say that your sister would also describe the processes as transparent, fair, and trustworthy? It seems that she alludes to it but saying that she knows that she gets a lot of great praise and that her moving up reflects the communication going on at the levels above her. But it would be interesting to see what she says.
Thanks Melinda!
I'll have to ask her. I know while I was there, all the messages were very clear. Everyone was on a first name basis and the main directors were so nice. They would greet us and watch as we did our jobs. Afterwards they would critique us. We also knew that there would be shop calls to make sure we were asking the correct information when making reservations. So in a way it was very transparent.
DeleteGreat interview Melinda, hearing about what types of rewards and incentives the Holiday Inn Express offers reminds me a lot of the types the things we do for our staff at the hospital. Overall how does your sister perceive staff's perception of the rewards and incentives. For example, in our organization there are many who are grateful, appreciative and revel in these types of activities. However, we also find that there are many who are greedy can never seem to get enough and come to expect this type of treatment versus work for and earn it. Does she also handle these types of employees? If so, how does she or her hotel handle the situation?
ReplyDeleteRamona
Hi Melinda!
ReplyDeleteI was pleasantly surprised with your sister's interview and really enjoyed reading your post! It is nice to hear that organizations give employees the chance to participate in groudbreaking activities like build a new hotel from the ground up. What was most surprising was how much your sister loves her job. In every answer she had something positive to say about her position or her employer. I travel frequently for work and have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express many times. I am glad to hear that it is a nice company to work for. There is nothing worse than hating your job and not having a way out!
Great interview!! You must be very proud of your sister!
Jacqueline