Friday, November 9, 2012

Interview- El Paso County



For this week’s assignment, I interviewed my supervisor Amy Serrano in regards to team work. In our division there are 16 employees.  The reason I chose to interview Amy was because in the year and a half that I have been with the County we have had many changes within our division. Amy was previously a clerk for a few years. This past year she was promoted to Assistant supervisor and now she is our supervisor. 

Here is the interview:

How long have you been a supervisor?
I have been a supervisor for 8 months. 

How many employees do you supervise?
There are 16 employees. 

Do you feel that your employees function as a team?
I believe when my employees are pulled together they work very well as a team. Although, there are a few who need a little extra motivation. 

How important is team work in your line of work?
Team work is extremely important, because our division wouldn’t function properly without it.

Do you believe you have an effective team? Why?
With the number of individuals that we have I believe we are very effective. When it comes to assisting each other, everyone is willing to do their part. In the amount of time I have been a supervisor I can proudly say that my team goes above and beyond their expectations. 

What are the strongest areas of your team?
The strongest areas would have to be the assisting others with work. 

What areas do you need to improve on?
I believe that I can improve on motivating others do take the initiative to voluntarily be a team. 

When your team is not functioning as a whole, how do you deal with this?
I get the team together and stress the importance of working together as a team. 

Can you give me an example of effective teamwork within your division?
I believe effective team work starts with having monthly meetings so everyone is on the same page. This helps with the effectiveness of what is expected of each and every one of them. This also gives me the opportunity to praise them when praise should be given. 

How would you describe your team’s culture?
The team work seems to come natural to most. The ones that need that extra motivation are great team players, but sometimes need a little push to get the team spirit. I can proudly say my team is efficient and cooperative in working together.

I found Amy’s responses very interesting because I really agree with her. In relation to other divisions, the criminal section is very close. We are also very protective of each other. There are times when we know someone is behind in work that others in the division will help them so they don’t get further behind or in trouble. Even when we are busy ourselves we help each other out. I think this is very important because you develop a sense of trust with your teammates and this can lead to advancement in other areas. If you look back to a previous post of mine regarding organizational structure, Amy has a lot of chiefs to report to. This can sometimes be hard on our division but Amy has always stuck by us and I think that’s the reason our team functions so well. A team needs a strong but understanding leader in order to properly function and get things done.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Melinda,
    I enjoyed your interview and it sounds like you work in a very high functioning team. I also like that you watch out for each other and bring the slower ones along rather than call them out. Amy mentioned in the interview that some need "a little extra motivation" to get with the program, I'm guessing that means a closed door "come to Jesus" meeting?
    We have meetings every afternoon to hash out what we're going to cover and we used to have a crusty old assignment editor who would mock other peoples' story ideas. I called him on it a few times and got really frustrated that our boss wouldn't handle it. Then one day, he was fired and he never really understood why. Our team functions much better now.

    Talk to you soon!
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John!

      Yeah we really do try to work together and sometimes it may seem like some people aren't pulling their weight because they know the others will do it for them. Our administration is really tough on everyone so we all try to stay under the radar plus if we mess up then Amy gets in trouble too. I like your story about the guy who would put people down. That gets tough too. We had a meeting one time and I asked Amy yo maybe start the meetings off positively because they were usually highlights of what we did wrong. We'd get the notification and be like, great, what did we do now. Things have improved on that aspect so it's much better now.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the interview. The interview reminds me that all teams are
    very unique and that teams can be filled with people of different
    levels of passion, expertise, motivation, etc. Thus, it seems critical
    for the manager to do many things. But the team effectiveness that is
    mentioned in the interview, I believe can only be achieved in a
    relatively small group, where constant communication and activity is
    flowing. I believe trust is the basis of all relationships, and this
    can be enhanced when information and contact between the members are
    constant. It would be more interesting to see how the team disagrees
    and loses teamwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for insight Yeirang. I honestly don't remember a time when the team disagreed. We're pretty much on the same page all the time. It's eerie. If we do disagree with something its as a whole group. Very odd but very nice as well.

      Delete